On this recent post, a reader [Hi Shannon!] asked for some shoe-care tips. I feel silly sharing, because I NEVER used to take care of my shoes. I would spill on them, scratch them, destroy them. So many little beauties ended their reign with a heartbreaking trip to the trash.
Nowadays, I am a shoe-freak. I treat flats from Target the same way I'd treat expensive heels. They need to be cared for so they will last a long time... which is the most budget friendly thing you can do. Since shoes are a staple that always come back in style, don't you want them to last forever? Here are my tips:
1. Rotate Your Favorites: I am guilty of finding a new favorite pair of shoes and wearing them to death, but this is one of the worst things you can do! Rotating your shoes ensures that all of them get equal wear and tear. Also, you won't be the girl who is always in the same pair of shoes.
2. Keep Them Clean: I know this seems obvious, but sometimes we get lazy. If your shoes need cleaning, clean them! Don't just throw them back on and run out the door. Say you're at a bar or restaurant and spill champagne [or worse, SALSA] on your shoes, you should get the spot off as soon as possible. Google the best method to clean the material [example: pony hair is tricky!], and get them looking new again. ALSO... if you have shoes you don't wear often, remember to dust them off every once in awhile. If you keep up on this, they'll stay in great shape for years to come.
3. Store Them Properly: I store my shoes in covered shelving, NOT stacked or thrown in a pile. If you're short on space, something like this will help protect your shoes but doesn't require a ton of room. If you have shoes that come with a protective bag, take note- that means they should stay in there while you're not wearing them!
4. Waterproof: Sigh, if I had a dollar for every shoe I forgot to waterproof. I could basically buy a new pair of shoes! Using a protectant spray on your shoes is the smartest thing you can do. They protect against water, dirt, oil, and stains- I love this kind.
5. Keep Their Shape: Proper storage will help with this! Not stacking shoes prevents them from getting squished. You can also stuff the shoes with crumpled paper, or use a fancy shoe tree like these. For boots, you can buy a boot shaper or use a trick I found on Pinterest- place empty wine bottles in boots to keep them propped upright. Also, you get to drink wine.
6. Become Friends with a Cobbler: Just because the soles of shoes are worn out or you've dinged and scratched them does not mean your shoes are done for. A professional cobbler can fix just about anything. Have your favorite shoes resoled or resurfaced, replace a broken strap, fix a broken heel- they'll be like new again!
7. Love Them: That's all. Just love your shoes. If you're going to be doing some gritty work or venturing on a really long, muddy hike, don't wear your favorite pair. Treat each pair of shoes [no matter the cost] as an investment, and they'll last. Simple as that. :)
And of course- if you HAVE cared for them and are now just sick of how they look, one of my favorite bloggers has a fun Shoe DIY that will upgrade just about any shoe to a new level of fabulous.
NOW... do you think with all this shoe talk, I'd not take a moment to do a little shopping??? Here are the shoes I am currently craving:
PHEW. After an exhaustive lesson [and shopping break] like this one, I think we've all earned a glass of champagne. Have a great day!!