I am a sucker for awards shows. They usually air when I'm super emotional so I cry at just about every acceptance speech and REALLY cry at every shot of proud spouse/friend/coworker in the audience. Tonight's show was no different, obviously. Many are calling it the "saddest Emmys ever" and I literally lost it during Edie Falco's tribute to James Gandolfini- which is odd because I don't think I've ever watched a movie or TV show starring either of them. That's just how attached I get to awards shows.
I also really love the fashion- duh. Here's my favorites from the evening [in no particular order]:
1. Anna Gunn, AKA Skyler White, in Romona Kevesa. I literally gasped when I saw her walk onstage. Her hair and makeup were on point and she looked absolutely radiant. This was particularly pleasing to me because I spent most of Breaking Bad saying "UGH Skyler is the WORST!!" or "UGH Skyler, get a new robe!!" Needless to say, she [Anna AND Skyler] really redeemed herself with this dress. PS... I'm a few episodes behind SO NO SPOILERS PLEASE.
2. Laura Dern in Naeem Khan. The color, the sleeves, the neckline, and the embellishments. I would wear this to the grocery store if I could. Perfect.
3. Aubrey Plaza in Marios Schwab. This look may land her on the "Worst Dressed" list, but maybe that's why I love it so?? I'm also crushing on her minimal makeup. She looks fresh and unique- although I could have done without the clutch.
4. Allison Williams in Ralph Lauren. Um, shout out to Allison for having such a simple gown but making such a huge impact. Her hair, makeup, jewelry- all looks so effortless. It's as if this is the exact outfit she'd wear to brunch and no one would question why she was so dressed up- and then at the Emmys, she holds her own in a sea of sequins. Good job.
5. Lena Dunham in Prada. It's no secret I love a bold print. This one caught my eye in a good way. It's very pretty and really reflective of Lena's bright, quirky personality. A lot of women matched their eyeshadow to their gowns this year- while that typically looks horrifying and actually makes me cringe, I think Lena made it work.
6. Julie Bowen in Zac Posen. This photo doesn't do this dress justice. I saw it on E's "Glam Cam" [something else that makes me cringe, why do you have to have so many camera names?] and you guys, the detailing and fit = absolute perfection. The layers at the bottom were truly beyond. I wish everything I owned had such a perfect ruffle.